Whitefish Bay Blue Dukes Football

Dukes Thrill in 32-25 Win over Germantown

Carson Kimple

The Dukes D was key to Whitefish Bay’s victory over the Warhawks. Photo: Brad Caspari | Full Photo Gallery

If the 2016 meeting of the Whitefish Bay Blue Dukes and the Germantown Warhawks was truly the last time these two schools will meet on the gridiron, their final game was a hard fought thriller with Bay besting Germantown 32-25.

Back and Forth, Forth and Back

Slowed by an offensive holding call on the first possession of the game, the Dukes were forced to punt the ball to Germantown.  After four consecutive runs, the Warhawks fumbled the ball with a hit by Michael Kirkendoll.  The ball was scooped by Case Fleck and returned to Bay 43 yard line.  Following a 14 play drive mixing several pass completions with multiple runs by Bo Bassindale, the Dukes took the ball to the Germantown four yard line.  The Dukes were unable to reach the end zone but put the first points on the board with an 11 yard field goal by Zach Lichosik.

Germantown then managed a nine play drive to the 24 yard line.  Facing a fourth down, the Warhawks called a halfback option pass good for a touchdown to make the score 7-3.

Germantown quickly got the ball back following a fumble by the Dukes and six plays later the Warhawks scored their second touchdown of the evening to make the score 14-3.

Whitefish Bay took the subsequent possession to the Warhawks 29 yard line but after failing on a fourth and long, the ball went back to Germantown.

Carson Kimple and Brady Weas and the rest of the Dukes defense made sure the Warhawks did not continue their momentum and Bay went back on offense with under 3 minutes left in the half. With catches from Jacob Hawig and Alex Anthony and a few key runs by Bassindale, Cade Garcia found Anthony open on a post route for a touchdown with just over a minute left in the first half.

The teams went to the locker room with the score 14-10 in favor of the home team.

Second Half: All D

From the opening series of the second half, it was readily apparent that the Dukes defensive adjustments would become a large factor in the game.  The first two running plays by the Warhawks resulted in TFLs by Jordan Riley and Jacob Ross.  A quick three and out gave the ball back to the Dukes who methodically moved the ball mixing the running and passing game.  The drive was capped off by a beautiful 16 yard TD run by Patrick Nau.  The scoreboard now read 16-14 in favor of the Dukes.

Cade Garcia

QB Cade Garcia rushed for 32 yards, and put up 247 passing yards and 2 touchdowns.

Photo: Brad Caspari | Full Photo Gallery

Although the Warhawks converted a huge fourth down on the ensuing drive, the Dukes defense rose tall in the shadows of their end zone, limiting the opposition to a field goal.  The lead shifted once again in favor of Germantown who now led 17-16.

After both teams failed to move the ball on their next opportunities, the Dukes took over following a punt midway through the fourth quarter.  Now the fun would really begin.

The Dukes again ran the ball well and with Anthony finding ten yards of open real estate on successive passes, the Dukes moved the ball to the Germantown 25 yard line and lined up for another field goal.   The attempt was blocked and the ball took one bounce and landed perfectly in the hands of an unsuspecting Warhawk on the edge of the line of scrimmage who was able to return the ball 75 yards for a touchdown.  Following a successful two point conversion, the Dukes who were on the cusp of another lead, were now trailing 25-16 with 5 minutes to play in the contest.

Thrilling Finish

However, the Dukes went to the two-minute drill offense and with two completions to Kirkendoll were again approaching the red zone.  Garcia connected with Anthony for 28 yard touchdown and the drive was complete in 65 seconds.  Whitefish Bay was back to within once score at 25-23.
Now it was the turn of the Dukes defense to stand up and show everyone what they could do with the game on the line.  Three consecutive runs by Germantown were stuffed by the outstanding play of LB Andy Oates and others and only yielded 8 yards.  No “First Down…G-Town” meant the home team was forced to punt the ball and give the Dukes one final chance.

The Dukes would need to convert two third and long situations but the passing game was unstoppable until the Dukes found themselves facing a fourth down inside the Germantown 15 yard line.  With the game on the line, the field goal unit was sent on with 35 seconds left in the game and Lichosik split the uprights for a 26-25 Blue Duke lead.

To ice the game two plays later, David Thompson jumped a pass and returned the ball for a touchdown to make the final score 32-25.  With the last few seconds slipping by, Fleck ended any hope of a Germantown victory with an interception at midfield.  The Dukes were then able to take the final snap of the game and kneel down to complete the comeback win.

Dukes of the Game

Wide Receiver Alex Anthony and The entire Dukes D shine as our Dukes of Game.